Communication Associate: Public Relations
| Lori Melton | email@example.com
| (218) 726-8830
Subscribe to the
UMD News Release RSS Feed
The External Affairs Department is UMD's official news service providing news and information to the media and the general public regarding UMD issues, programs, projects, people and special events.
News and information of all types are disseminated locally, regionally, nationally and internationally through a variety of means such as press releases, news conferences, interviews, press packets and official statements.
To add this news feed to your website click here for instructions. Email Charlene Aaseng for further assistance.
- March 3, 2015 - Native Lives Matter: Concert Presented at UMD
- "Native Lives Matter," a free concert featuring Ojibwe musicians, at UMD on March 4
- February 27, 2015 - UMD to Host Shakespeare’s First Folio Exhibition in 2016
- UMD selected as the host site for First Folio! The Book that Gave Us Shakespeare, a national traveling exhibition of the Shakespeare First Folio
- February 23, 2015 - UMD’s Iconic Ven Den Reopens
- Ribbon cutting for redesigned Ven Den scheduled
- February 20, 2015 - Jason Davis named director of Information Technology
- UMD names Jason Davis director of Information Technology
- February 9, 2015 - UMD Engineering Students Awarded Six of Ten State Scholarships
- Five students from UMD’s Department of Civil Engineering and one from the Department of Chemical Engineering received scholarships from the Minnesota branch of the American Council of Engineering Companies.
- February 4, 2015 - UMD Public Lecture in Honor of Darwin Day
- Dr. Mark Borrello, from the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, will present “Levels of Selection and Evolving Individuals: Darwin's Contributions to Contemporary Biology” on Friday, Feb. 13.
- February 3, 2015 - Erik Redix Receives 2015-16 McKnight Land-Grant Professorship
- Dr. Erik Redix, an assistant professor in American Indian Studies, has been awarded a University of Minnesota McKnight Land-Grant Professorship, a two-year award designed to advance the careers of exceptional junior faculty.
- January 12, 2015 - UMD Alumnus Named Commissioner of IRRRB
- Mark Phillips (’73) has been a member of the LSBE Dean's Business Advisory Council since its inception in 1998.
- December 30, 2014 - Polish Faculty Receive Award for UMD Cooperative Microbiology Course Offered in Poland
- UMD's summer Study Abroad Microbiology Program faculty at the University of Wroclaw received acclaim.
- December 22, 2014 - LSBE Maintains AACSB Accreditation
- The Labovitz School of Business and Economics is the only institution in northeastern Minnesota to have attained AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) accreditation.
- December 17, 2014 - Daniel Hartman Named Glensheen Director
- A UMD alumnus, Hartman has served as the interim director since May 2013
- December 15, 2014 - Big Jig Has New Venue in 2015
- UMD's Subway Big Jig Ice Fishing Tournament is scheduled for Feb. 8, but for the first time it will be held on Island Lake north of Duluth.
- December 12, 2014 - New Regional Campus Dean for Duluth Named
- Paula Termuhlen, M.D., has been named dean for the University of Minnesota Medical School’s Duluth campus. She begins her tenure on March 31, 2015.
- December 9, 2014 - Mark Seeley Speaks at UMD on Evidence and Stories of Climate Adaptation in Minnesota
- Seeley has been working to promote and nurture a wide ranging community of climate adaptation practitioners.
- December 9, 2014 - Professor co-edits "Natural Biomarkers for Cellular Metabolism: Biology, Techniques, and Applications"
- Ahmed A. Heikal contributes to research on the fundamentals of cellular energy metabolic pathways.
- December 8, 2014 - Media Advisory: Miniature Horses at UMD
- Two miniature horses with The Windchill Legacy will be on hand as part of UMD's Pet Away Worry and Stress (PAWS) event.
- December 2, 2014 - UMD Hosts First Physics Olympiad for High School Students
- High school juniors and seniors are invited to compete individually and in teams in a series of fun physics challenges.
- December 2, 2014 - LSBE: 40 Years Strong
- The Labovitz School of Business and Economics is celebrating 40 years of excellence.
- November 25, 2014 - Minnesota Sea Grant Staff Member Honored
- Doug Jensen, MN Sea Grant program coordinator, received the first Stop Aquatic Hitchhikers! Achievement Award from Wildlife Forever.
- November 13, 2014 - Medical School Faculty Member Honored
- Dr. Arlen Severson has been inducted into the Academic Health Center Academy for Excellence in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.
- November 12, 2014 - UMD Social Work Program Honors Community Action Duluth Employee
- Rachel Forsyth is the recipient of the UMD Department of Social Work's "Outstanding MSW Field Supervisor and Civic Engagement Award."
- November 7, 2014 - UMD’s Sergei Katsev’s Research on the Composition of Ancient Seawater Published in Science Magazine
- Large Lakes Observatory finds the biological productivity on the Early Earth was starved for sulfate
- November 3, 2014 - UMD Swenson Civil Engineering Building Receives AIA Chicago "Divine Detail Award"
- UMD Civil Engineering building designed by Ross Barney Architects receives award.
- November 2, 2014 - Panel Discussion on Alcohol-Related Blue Laws
- UMD's Center of Ethics and Public Policy will host a free panel discussion about whether Minnesota should abolish its restrictions on the sale of alcohol on Sundays.
- October 29, 2014 - Center for Ethics and Public Policy Hosts Free Lecture
- Rev. Nancy E. Maeker, former executive director (retired) of A Minnesota Without Poverty, will speak about efforts to eliminate poverty in Minnesota.
- October 28, 2014 - Series of Free Holocaust Commemoration Events
- Thurs., Nov. 6 at noon, KAM Library Rotunda, Associate Professor Deborah Petersen-Perlman presents “Holocaust Memorials: Marketing, Commemoration or Both?” Fri. Nov. 7 at noon, KAM Library Rotunda, Associate Professor Alexis Pogorelskin presents on Kristallnacht. Sunday, Nov. 9 at 1 pm, Weber Music Hall, a special screening of Nuremberg: Its Lesson for Today and a presentation by Sandra Schulberg, daughter of the film’s original writer/director.
- October 24, 2014 - UMD Faculty Releases Book
- Assistant Professor Erik Redix, in the Department of American Indian Studies, had his book The Murder of Joe White: Ojibwe Leadership and Colonialism in Wisconsin published.
- October 24, 2014 - UMD research highlighted at Regional Economic Indicators Forum event
- The Bureau of Business and Economic Research from the Labovitz School of Business and Economics will present research on behalf of UMD.
- October 22, 2014 - Special issue of the "American Journal of Botany" Co-edited by UMD's Briana Gross
- UMD assistant professor co-edits biology journal issue, "Speaking of Food"
- October 21, 2014 - NRRI Honored
- UMD's Natural Resources Research Institute is the recipient of a Bronze Excellence in Economic Development Award from the International Economic Development Council.
- October 14, 2014 - 25th International Workshop on Combinatorial Algorithms to be held for the first time in U.S.
- UMD hosts an international advanced math workshop in Duluth.
- October 14, 2014 - Duluth Community Children and Families Invited to UMD's Haunted Halls
- UMD students invite children to a Halloween event
- October 13, 2014 - CEHSP Honors Distinguished Alumni
- Five alumni from the College of Education and Human Service Professions were honored for their achievements by CEHSP.
- October 10, 2014 - We are Bulldog Country: 2014 Homecoming Details Announced
- UMD announces its 2014 Homecoming Week events.
- October 7, 2014 - Award-Winning Author Releases The Road Back to Sweetgrass
- A UMD author receives praise for The Road Back to Sweetgrass
- October 6, 2014 - UMD Raises Funds for Operation One Voice
- UMD raised over $5,000 for Operation One Voice as part of the Bulldogs' annual Military Appreciation Day at James S. Malosky Stadium.
- October 7, 2014 - GLBT National Coming Out Day Luncheon
- Weightlifting medalist and others share their stories at an annual event which supports and celebrates the GLBTQA community.
- October 7, 2014 - Michael Mann Presents The Hockey Stick and the Climate Wars: The Battle Continues
- Penn State professor speaks out about the danger posed by global climate change.
- September 29, 2014 - Egyptian Theatre Artist-Scholar Presents Solitaire
- Solitaire, a multi-media performance by Egyptian theatre artist Dalia Basiouny, to be presented at UMD on October 21.
- September 24, 2014 - Athletics Increases Endowed Scholarships
- UMD Athletics recently added three new endowed scholarships bringing the total number of UMD athletic scholarships to 35.
- September 24, 2014 - UMD Named Military Friendly
- For the fourth year in a row, UMD has been rated as a Military Friendly School by Victory Media.
- September 23, 2014 - Taking Action: National Public Radio Journalist Presenting Keynote on Climate Change
- Taking action for the environment; An award-winning journalist scheduled to speak at UMD.
- September 18, 2014 - Rendezvous with a Reason
- Research and recreation merge for a grueling new event, Duluth's Paddlesport and Surfing Rendezvous.
- September 15, 2014 - Media Advisory For September 18, 2014
- Chancellor Black will host a news conference at the Tweed Museum of Art on Thursday, September 18.
- September 15, 2014 - The End of Wonder in the Age of Whatever
- The speaker dubbed "the explainer" by Wired Magazine will be at UMD on September 26.
- September 12, 2014 - Innovative New Major Announced: Bachelor of Tribal Administration and Governance
- UMD's newly-approved Tribal Administration and Governance Program is accessible to students across the nation.
- September 10, 2014 - UMD Ranked High By U.S. News & World Report
- UMD ranked 8th in the Top Public Schools Midwest category in the 2015 U.S. News & World Report issue of "America's Best Colleges."
- September 9, 2014 - UMD Honors New Endowed Chair in American Indian Education
- The College of Education and Human Service Professions welcomed David Beaulieu, the new Ruth A. Myers Endowed Chair in UMD’s American Indian Education, with a reception and feast.
- September 5, 2014 - Bureau of Business and Economic Research Director
- The Labovitz School of Business and Economics’ Bureau of Business and Economic Research has hired Monica Haynes as Bureau’s director.
- August 21, 2014 - Ronald Manheimer to speak at UMD University for Seniors event on September 6
- Renowned speaker on the changing nature of retirement will give a presentation at UMD's University for Seniors Fall Kick Off event.
- August 21, 2014 - Former UMD Math Research Student Receives Fields Medal
- Manjul Bhargava, who did math research at UMD in 1995, receives the highest honor in the mathematics field.
- August 19, 2014 - Works from the Tweed Museum of Art on Tour in Japan
- Six Jean-François Millet artworks from the Tweed Museum collection will be part of an exhibit titled "Love and Friendship through Millet's Work."
- August 19, 2014 - Multicultural Party Celebrates Intercultural Communication and Hawaiian History and Culture Classes
- UMD's Communication Department hosts 250 alumni who have taken the popular courses over the years.
- August 15, 2014 - UMD among the Nation’s Top 50 LGBT-Friendly Schools
- Campus Pride, in partnership with the Huffington Post, announced today that UMD is a “Top 50” LGBT school.
- August 13, 2014 - Faculty Receives 2014 Equity and Diversity Transformation Award
- Transformation Award given to UMD faculty member.
- August 7, 2014 - Tweed Museum Named Best Museum in Minnesota
- Readers of Lake Superior Magazine have bestowed a 2014 Best of the Lake award on UMD's Tweed Museum of Art, naming it the best gallery/museum in Minnesota.
- August 1, 2014 - Latest Inductees Named for UMD Hall of Fame
- Five former All-Americans and one former head coach will be inducted in the UMD Athletic Hall of Fame on Jan. 17, 2015.
- July 24, 2014 - Faculty Athletic Representative Named
- UMD Professor Stephen Castleberry has been appointed the faculty athletic representative.
- July 24, 2014 - UMD Awarded $8.97M NSF Grant
- The National Science Foundation has awarded an $8.97M grant to UMD to construct a new drilling platform for research in Antarctica.
- July 24, 2014 - Girls are Learning the Ropes, Building the Boats
- Media Advisory: UMD camp participants demonstrating engineering skills today.
- July 21, 2014 - NRRI Receives $500,000 from U of M MNDrive Transdisciplinary Research Program
- The award will implement "Smart Bioremediation Technology" to reduce sulfate concentrations in northeastern Minnesota watersheds.
- July 17, 2014 - Faculty Receive IDEA Multicultural Research Awards
- Four UMD faculty received 2014 Institute for Diversity, Equity, and Advocacy (IDEA) Multicultural Research Award.
- July 10, 2014 - New Director of Large Lakes Observatory
- Dr. Robert W. Sterner has joined UMD as the new director of LLO and member of the faculty in the UMD Department of Biology.
- July 9, 2014 - Hired. Survey Reveals Employment Rate for Recent Graduates
- Media advisory: A news conference announcing the results of a comprehensive career survey of nearly 2,000 alumni.
- July 7, 2014 - Faculty Mentor Local High School Students
- UMD faculty provided guidance and assistance to nine local high school students who attended the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair in Los Angeles, Calif.
- June 24, 2014 - Minnesota Department of Health Honors Med School Faculty Member
- James G. Boulger, director of the Center for Rural Mental Health Studies and a faculty member at the University of Minnesota Medical School in Duluth, received the Rural Health Hero award.
- June 23, 2014 - Success on Many Levels for Bulldog Athletics in 2013-14
- UMD Athletics celebrates significant accomplishments in the three C's - competition, classroom and community.
- June 20, 2014 - UMD Announces New Dean of Swenson College of Science and Engineering
- New SCSE Dean Josh Hamilton comes to UMD from the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole, Massachusetts where he served as the Chief Academic and Scientific Officer.
- June 16, 2014 - Duluth is the Best
- Readers of Outside Magazine have named Duluth the 2014 Best Town in America.
- June 16, 2014 - UMD Supports Youth Nonprofits with Big Ten Donation
- UMD selects five Duluth non-profits to receive Big Ten funds
- June 12, 2014 - UMD Athletics Receives Four NACMA Awards for 2013-14 Marketing Efforts
- The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics received four “Best of” awards from the National Association of Collegiate Marketing Administrators (NACMA) for marketing and fan-experience work during the 2013-14 sports season.
- June 10, 2014 - MTAG offered to National Audience
- UMD announces Master of Tribal Administration and Governance program to be offered online.
- June 9, 2014 - UMD Police Department Conducting On Campus Training
- The UMD Police Department joins regional law enforcement agencies for training on campus.
- May 29, 2014 - UMD ranks as one of the top 50 colleges for summer school
- UMD offers courses on campus and online.
- May 28, 2014 - UMD Named Fit-Friendly Worksite
- The American Heart Association has recognized UMD as gold-level Fit-Friendly Company.
- May 28, 2014 - Large Lakes Observatory Launches New Season of "LLO Science Friday"
- These free, family-friendly events will be held from 12:30-4:30 pm on May 30, June 20, July 18, August 22, and September 26, 2014 at Twin Ports Harbor at the Great Lakes Aquarium.
- May 14, 2014 - UMD Commencement Ceremonies to be held on Saturday
- UMD announces details about this weekend's commencement
- May 12, 2014 - Free Tours at Glensheen, Thursday, May 22, 2014
- Glensheen announces its annual Community Day will be held on Thursday, May 22
- May 8, 2014 - Dean of Swenson College of Science and Engineering to Retire
- UMD honors James Riehl for 14 years and many accomplishments at UMD.
- May 5, 2014 - Statement from Chancellor Black regarding Congressman Oberstar
- UMD's Chancellor Black reacts to the passing of Congressman Jim Oberstar.
- May 2, 2014 - 15th Annual Jankofsky Lecture: Lyric Flesh: The Presence of the Body in Renaissance Poetry
- An annual tradition continues at UMD, with the 15th Jankofsky Lecture on May 9.
- April 30, 2014 - Student-Athletes Receive Awards
- UMD student-athletes were honored for their success on and off the field.
- April 29, 2014 - UMD Named Best Tutoring Program in the Nation
- UMD's tutoring program honored for excellence in training, scope of purpose and range of tutorial support.
- April 29, 2014 - UMD Professor Named LSBE Associate Dean
- Praveen Aggarwal has accepted the position of associate dean at the Labovitz School of Business and Economics
- April 29, 2014 - CUE & A Seeks Community’s Comments on May 5
- On May 5, UMD's Cultural Entrepreneurship students will present "CUE & A" at Zeitgeist Arts.
- April 29, 2014 - UMD Joins Fermilab in International Neutrino Collaboration: Document Outlines Details
- Faculty members Alec Habig and Richard Gran from UMD's Department of Physics, are involved in a new, far-reaching neutrino experiment.
- April 23, 2014 - 22nd Annual Joel Labovitz Entrepreneurial Success Awards Recipients Announced
- Since 1993, the Joel Labovitz Entrepreneurial Success Awards have recognized small business owners who have dared to dream, taken risks, and invested in the region.
- April 23, 2014 - Duluth Mayor Don Ness Named 2014 Labovitz School of Business and Economics Business Person of the Year
- LSBE Dean Amy B. Hietapelto stated that “Ness is an outstanding leader and very deserving of this year’s award.”
- April 21, 2014 - Nationally Recognized Suicide Awareness Exhibit to Visit UMD
- UMD brings 1,100 backpacks representing lives of college students lost to suicide on April 28.
- April 16, 2014 - New Book by UMD Dean Focuses on “Flyover Country”
- A new book by UMD's Susan Maher goes in-depth in the Great Plains. More about "Deep Map Country."
- April 9, 2014 - Minnesota Book Award Winner Presents Organic Farming and Writing Topics
- Atina Diffley, Minnesota author of a memoir about organic farming, visits UMD on April 15.
- April 7, 2014 - U.S. Small Business Administration Honors CED
- The UMD Center for Economic Development and Northeast regional office of the Minnesota Small Business Development Center Network, has been named the Minnesota SBDC Center of Excellence.
- April 2, 2014 - UMD Overman Lecture: Death Penalty Litigation Attorney Ken Rose
- The 2014 Ben & Jeanne Overman Distinguished Speaker Series will featured Ken Rose, senior staff attorney at the Center for Death Penalty Litigation in Durham, North Carolina, who will present “The Bo Jones Story and My Fight to Save Death Row Inmates.” The free lecture will be held on Wed., Apr. 16, at 7 pm in the 4th Floor Rotunda of the Kathryn A. Martin Library.
- April 2, 2014 - Three Events Highlight 2014 Baeumler Kaplan Holocaust Commemoration
- UMD Associate Professor Deborah Petersen-Perlman will present “My Jewish Journey” on April 17, a screening and post-film discussion of "The Devil's Arithmetic" will be held on April 17, and children’s author Jane Yolen will present "The Swallows Still Fly Around the Camp Chimneys: The Lasting Impressions of Holocaust on Writers and Child Readers" on April 23.
- March 31, 2014 - Sigurd Olson Lecture “Yellowstone: More Valuable Than Gold”
- On Thurs., Apr. 10, Mike Clark, former executive director of the Greater Yellowstone Coalition, will speak about the Coalition’s efforts to halt mining adjacent to Yellowstone.
- March 20, 2014 - UMD’s Dinner with Champions Connects Grads with Employers
- UMD's Dinner with Champion celebrates student athletes while connecting them to the UMD community.
- March 19, 2014 - UMD to host Equity, Diversity, and Social Justice Expo
- An upcoming expo at UMD invites discussion on issues of equity, diversity, and social justice.
- March 17, 2014 - UMD Professor Identifies Key Components Behind Plant Nectar’s Creation and Secretion
- Associate Professor Clay Carter in the Department of Biology and his colleagues had their work on nectar creation and secretion published in Nature.
- March 14, 2014 - Sherlock Holmes at Glensheen
- Honoring its tradition of Living Literature, Glensheen, the historic Congdon estate, presents The Hound of the Baskervilles, April 3, 4, and 5.
- March 13, 2014 - Water World Week Events
- UMD celebrates fresh water with a series of free and open-to-the-public events Mar. 25–27.
- March 12, 2014 - Northland Community Wellness Day, March 29
- This free event, held UMD’s Romano Gym, features local businesses, organizations, and resources promoting healthy families and communities.
- March 10, 2014 - Student-Led Investment Fund Tops $1 Million Mark
- Managed by students in the LSBE Financial Markets Program, the Bulldog Fund, LLC, now has over $1,000,000 in total assets.
- March 10, 2014 - LSBE’s Health Care Management Program Fully Certified
- The Labovitz School of Business and Economics’ (LSBE) Health Care Management Program has attained the Association of University Program in Health Administration (AUPHA) Full Certified Undergraduate Program Membership.
- March 10, 2014 - UMD Hosts "Teaching the Holocaust" for K–12 Educators
- Three workshops will provide attendees with tools, resources, and discussion themes for educating young people on the Holocaust.
- March 10, 2014 - UMD Chancellor receives Honor from Alma Matter
- Chancellor Black has been awarded the Alumni Honor Citation from the University of Kansas.
- March 10, 2014 - UMD Heroes Fund Growing
- Military-style UMD Heroes dog tags may be purchased for $5 each at UMD Stores and Holiday Stationstores throughout the Duluth area with all proceeds benefiting the Heroes Fund. Currently the fund is only available to those who attend the College of Education and Human Service Professions. With increased monies, the fund would be available to any UMD student who is a veteran, active service member, active Reservist or National Guard member who may need financial support as they pursue their education.
- March 10, 2014 - Northland Roof Failure:
UMD Structural Engineering Faculty Discuss "Snow Loads"
- UMD faculty answer questions about building codes, insulation, drifting snow and other factors impacting snow loads on roofs.
- March 6, 2014 - LSBE Fellow Named Minnesota's Top Financial Advisor
- Barron's has named Richard Brown, senior fellow at the Labovitz School of Business and Economics and CEO of JNBA Financial Advisors, the top financial advisor in Minnesota.
- March 3, 2014 - KUMD Celebrates Women's History Month
- Throughout the month of March, KUMD honors Minnesota's women leaders and trailblazers.
- February 26, 2014 - Super Gay Cabaret 2014 to be Held at UMD on Feb. 27 and 28.
- UMD's Gay Cabaret will feature musical theater acts that celebrate sexual identity.
- February 26, 2014 - UMD Starts Demolition on Stadium Apartments
- Demolition on Stadium Apartments, built in 1972 for 312 residents, begins this week at UMD. The expense of major maintenance and bringing the building up to code was cost prohibitive.
- February 20, 2014 - New NRRI Director Named
- Alumnus Rolf Weberg has accepted the position of director of the Natural Resources Research Institute.
- February 18, 2014 - UMD Athletics Seeks Members for New Advisory Board
- UMD Athletics has formed the Bulldog Fan and Community Advisory Board and is seeking members who will provide ideas, suggestions, and feedback on fan experience and community engagement.
- February 12, 2014 - 1 Four Mandy Matula Fund Established by UMD Athletics
- The fund honors the late Mandy Matula who was a starting pitcher and utility player with the Bulldogs from 2007-08 to 2010-11 and will provide financial support for the Bulldog softball program.
- February 12, 2014 - NOvA Experiment Sees First Long-distance Neutrinos
- UMD's Alec Habig, professor of physics, is one of the scientists on this international neutrino research project. His work, as he phrases it, is to determine "at exactly which time should we fish for the needle in the data haystack?"
- February 11, 2014 - LSBE Dean Amy Hietapelto Featured Guest at “Downtown Live”
- The Greater Downtown Council event will be held on Wed., Feb. 19 at Zinema at Zeitgeist Arts, 222 East Superior Street, Duluth.
- February 6, 2014 - New Director of Housing Named
- Jeremy Leiferman, from Brandeis University, has been chosen as the new director of Housing and Residence Life.
- February 5, 2014 - 2013-2014 UMD Chancellor's Awards Announced
- Three faculty, Angela Sharp, instructor, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, John Goodge, professor, Department of Geological Sciences, and Kathy Heltzer, instructor, Department of Social Work, will give special lecture presentations.
- January 30, 2014 - UMD's Sixth Annual Darwin Day Lecture: Evolution of African Fish
- Professor Walter Salzburger, from the University of Basel, Switzerland, presents, "Darwin's dream ponds: The cichlid fishes of the East African Big Lakes."
- January 28, 2014 - Larry Oakes Journalism Scholarship Established at UMD
- UMD's College of Liberal Arts is hosting a reception on Friday, February 7, 2014 to celebrate the Larry Oakes Journalism Scholarship.
- January 23, 2014 - A Stellar 2013 Fall Sports Season for UMD Intercollegiate Athletics
- Student-athletes earn great GPAs and honors.
- January 7, 2014 - Football Head Coach Curt Wiese Named 2013 Division II Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
- Five local charities and the UMD Alumni Association will benefit from donations made by Liberty Mutual.
- January 7, 2014 - UMD Receives Grant to Document Mille Lacs Band’s History
- UMD has received a significant grant to help the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe research its rich history.
- January 3, 2014 - UMD Theatre selected for KCACTF Regionals
- UMD's Theater Department is hosting an encore performance of Last Summer at Bluefish Cove in anticipation of their run at the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival.
- December 18, 2013 - Professor Joseph Gallian Receives 40 Years of NSF Support
- Funding from the National Science Foundation helps to support a summer program, Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU), that Gallian founded and has run at UMD since 1977. His first NSF grant was in 1975, and with this latest award, he is funded through 2016.
- December 16, 2013 - Annual Joseph Maiolo Holiday Reading to be held at UMD
- UMD will present the Joseph Maiolo Annual Holiday Reading on Thursday, December 19 from 4 to 5 p.m. in Weber Music Hall.
- December 12, 2013 - Four Sustainability Projects Funded by the Institute on the Environment
- Four interdisciplinary initiatives on sustainability funded on UMD campus.
- December 6, 2013 - December 11: UMD’s Cultural Entrepreneurship Students Connect with Community
- “CUE & A” showcases the students’ first semester studying cultural entrepreneurship.
- December 6, 2013 - UMD Civil Engineering Department Conducts Unique Concrete Stress Test
- Students in the Civil Engineering Department conduct two unique stress tests on 16-foot-long concrete beams.
- December 3, 2013 - University of Minnesota Duluth Professor Honored as a 2013 AAAS Fellow
- Tom Johnson from UMD's Large Lakes Observatory Named as AAAS Fellow.
- November 27, 2013 - Six UMD Students Accepted into McNair Scholars Program
- Six UMD students from populations underrepresented in science, technology, engineering, and math fields have been accepted into the McNair Scholars Program.
- November 26, 2013 - Bulldogs Host Team Russia at AMSOIL
- As they prepare for the Winter Olympics, Team Russia will play two exhibition games against the UMD women’s hockey team. Head Coach Shannon Miller has mentored Team Russia since June 2011.
- November 15, 2013 - UMD’s Department of Art and Design Receives National Accreditation
- UMD's Art and Design department receives a 'stamp of approval' of national significance.
- November 14, 2013 - CEHSP Professor Honored
- Professor Aydin Durgunoglu, interim head of the Department of Psychology in the College of Education and Human Service Professions, will receive the 2013 Award for Global Engagement for her work on adult literacy in Turkey.
- November 8, 2013 - Round-the-Clock Watch: UMD ROTC to Honor Vets with 24-Hour Vigil
- UMD's ROTC program is recognizing Veteran's Day with a 24-hour vigil.
- November 5, 2013 - Minnesota Politicians and Civil Rights Activist Mandy Carter Discuss U.S. Politics
- The talk "Winning Back the House in 2014" brings together Minnesota politicians and Mandy Carter, a nationally known civil rights activist.
- November 5, 2013 - New Bachelor of Social Work Launched
- The curriculum has a special focus on services to American Indians and their communities. The skills students learn are transferrable when working with a variety of different groups and settings.
- November 4, 2013 - Career & Internship Services Hosts Daniel Seddiqui
- Author Daniel Seddiqui, author of 50 Jobs in 50 States: One Man's Journey of Discovery Across America, will give a presentation on Wed. Nov. 6 at 4 pm in the Kirby Student Center Ballroom, as part of National Career Development Month.
- October 30, 2013 - "Diversity and Discrimination: Personal and Scientific Perspectives."
- Author Daniel Seddiqui and UMD Professor Randall Gordon will present on the topic of “Diversity and Discrimination: Personal and Scientific Perspectives” on Thurs. Nov. 7 at 3 pm in the Griggs Center. This event is open and free to the public.
- October 30, 2013 - "Lawyers Without Rights: Jewish Lawyers in Germany Under the Third Reich” Events
- UMD’s Baeumler Kaplan Holocaust Commemoration Committee will host three free public events in conjunction with the “Lawyers Without Rights” exhibit on display at the Federal Courthouse, 515 West First Street, in downtown Duluth.
- October 25, 2013 - UMD to Host "Soiree of Seasons"
- UMD programs are collaborating to present an evening dedicated to all things farming.
- October 23, 2013 - UMD Faculty Member Presents at International Symposium
- UMD Faculty to present at International Symposium this week, discussing issues related to gender, violence, and human rights.
- October 22, 2013 - UMD's 25th Anniversary Engineering/Industry Scholarship Banquet
- The Swenson College of Science and Engineering celebrates 25 years of support for UMD engineering programs.
- October 21, 2013 - UMD Hosting Writing Studies Showcase
- The Writing Studies Showcase is designed to introduce UMD students to people who are professional writers.
- October 14, 2013 - Public Lecture: Preferences for Health Care at the End of Life: Rural-Urban Differences
- UMD's Center for Ethics and Public Policy will sponsor a lecture by Dr. Charles Gessert on Thurs., Oct. 24.
- October 11, 2013 - "Web of Life" Discussion with American Writer and Activist, Starhawk
- Ecofeminist Starhawk will lead discussions at UMD on local sustainable design and preserving the area watershed.
- October 10, 2013 - Die Fledermaus
- UMD's Die Fledermaus, an operetta about revenge, mistaken identities, and a secret rendezvous, opens October 17.
- October 10, 2013 - LSBE Senior Fellow Receives New Generation Influencer Award
- Richard Brown, senior fellow at the Labovitz School of Business and Economics (LSBE), has been named the recipient of Financial Planning Magazine’s 2013 New Generation Influencer Award for his role in developing the TD Ameritrade Institutional Learning Lab at LSBE.
- October 9, 2013 - New Master of Arts in Psychological Science program launches
- An open house will be held on Fri., Oct. 18 in Bohannon Hall 351 from 1:15-2 pm. The MAPS degree offers three different emphases: Clinical-Counseling Psychology, Industrial-Organizational Psychology, and General-Experimental Psychology.
- October 8, 2013 - CEHSP Inducts Distinguished Alumni
- UMD's College of Education and Human Service Professions names four as Distinguished Alumni: Dr. Angela Burda, Mr. Rick Smith, Lt. Gov. Yvonne Prettner Solon, and Mr. Paul Vesterstein.
- October 2, 2013 - UMD Communication Department host "Home-Comm-ing" Event
- This "friend raiser" will feature Duluth Mayor Don Ness who will talk about initiatives to increase professional opportunities for college graduates in the Duluth.
- October 2, 2013 - School of Fine Arts Inducts Three Alumni into Society of Prometheans
- SFA alumni, Chad Albers, Bonnie Flesland, and Bill Shipley, were honored for their accomplishments as graduates and as representatives of the School of Fine Arts.
- October 1, 2013 - "Preeminent Native American Filmmaker" Presenting at UMD
- Chris Eyre, who's been called "a great American filmmaker" will be at UMD on October 23 presenting his film, "Skins"
- September 30, 2013 - UMD Renames Library in Honor of Former Chancellor
- Because of Kathryn A. Martin's commitment to the university, the UMD library will be renamed in her honor.
- September 27, 2013 - UMD Inducts New Members into UMD Academy of Science and Engineering
- UMD recently honored four alumni and one professor with induction into the prestigious academy
- September 25, 2013 - UMD Homecoming Parade in Downtown Duluth - Thursday, October 3 at 6 p.m.
- UMD is taking its homecoming parade off campus and into the community on October 3, 2013.
- September 20, 2013 - Elementary School Named in Honor of UMD Staff Member Ruth A. Myers
- Duluth elementary school named after Ruth A. Myers, staff member and American Indian education leader.
- September 19, 2013 - UMD Proud: Six of the Duluth News Tribune's "20 Under 40" are Bulldogs
- The Duluth News Tribune's "20 Under 40," announcing 20 leaders younger than 40, is bulldog strong!
- September 18, 2013 - UMD Athletic Hall of Fame Inducts Six
- Six Bulldogs -- Amory Bodin (football), Guy "Goose" Gosselin (men's hockey), Tom Maas (golf), Jenny (Warrick) Reierson (soccer), Maria Rooth (women's hockey), and Chris Swiatkiewicz (baseball) -- will be inducted into the UMD Athletic Hall of Fame on Friday, Sept. 20.
- September 18, 2013 - Russian Olympic Team Will Set Up Camp In Duluth With Miller's Oversight
- UMD Women's Hockey Coach Shannon Miller is Russia's mentor through an International Ice Hockey Federation mentoring program and helped secure Duluth and AMSOIL as Russia's home base from Nov. 20 until Dec. 2
- September 16, 2013 - Community Involvement Fair Offers Students Numerous Options
- Over 40 organizations that partner with UMD will offer volunteer and community-based learning opportunities.
- September 16, 2013 - Farm to Fork at UMD: September 17-19
- An early Food Day celebration has UMD focused on the farm: events Tuesday through Thursday, September 17-19.
- September 11, 2013 - NRRI Receives Funding to Research Impacts of Human Activities in Great Lakes Basin
- UMD's Natural Resource Research Institute will take part in a $2.9 million multidisciplinary research effort for Great Lakes restoration projects funded by the University of Michigan Water Center.
- September 3, 2013 - Brian Kobilka, Nobel Prize Recipient Returns to UMD
- Recipient of the 2012 Nobel Prize in Chemistry, Brian Kobilka, will present a lecture at 3:15 p.m. on Sept. 13 in Chemistry 200.
- September 3, 2013 - UMD Among "Best Lifetime Return on Investment"
- A new survey ranks UMD as a top return on investment.
- September 3, 2013 - Baeumler Kaplan Holocaust Commemoration: "Recognizing an Unsung Hero"
- Sheila Isenberg, award-winning journalist, author, and adjunct faculty member at Marist College, will present "Mission Impossible: Varian Fry in Marseille" on Sept. 10 at Temple Israel.
- August 28, 2013 - UMD to Welcome Freshmen at Student Move-in Day
- More than 2,000 freshmen will be welcomed to UMD at Student Move-In Day on Thursday, August 29.
- August 22, 2013 - Josh Berlo: Exciting Accomplishments
- Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Josh Berlo has added some new projects that will increase emphasis on fan experience and engagement, while continuing to grown the national profile of UMD Athletics.
- August 21, 2013 - Special Operations Response Team Exercises Held at UMD
- Area response team members conducted hostage rescue training in UMD's vacant Stadium Apartments in order to further enhance their response skills.
- August 20, 2013 - Keeping Universities Safe: UMD Offers Training
- UMD presents a seminar dealing with campus safety. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, an internationally recognized expert on school violence, presents "Lessons from Columbine and Virgina Tech."
- August 20, 2013 - UMD Makes Top 25 List of GLBT-Friendly Universities
- UMD met the criteria of 4.5 stars or above in eight areas to score a spot in the Top 25 GLBT-friendly campuses.
- August 16, 2013 - Twin Ports CFO Group Formed
- A new group of Twin Ports financial managers seeks to find cost saving measures through collaboration.
- August 6, 2013 - University of Minnesota Duluth Survey Reveals High Employment Success Rate for Recent Graduates
- Good news: Survey reveals UMD Grads have high employment success rate.
- July 31, 2013 - UMD to Host Three Tribal Consultation Sessions
- UMD hosting consultation tribal consultation sessions, seeking to hear the ideas, themes, and needs of Indian Country.
- July 29, 2013 - UMD Announces New Master of Liberal Studies Degree
- Flexibility and forging connections are the goals of UMD's new Master of Liberal Studies program, which starts this fall.
- July 9, 2013 - CED Offers Unique Economic Development Educational Program
- UMD Center for Economic Development will hold the 20th Annual Upper Midwest Basic Economic Development Course (BEDC) July 22–26, 2013.
- July 3, 2013 - Glensheen Mansion Becomes Only Blue Star Museum in Region
- Glensheen Mansion, located on the historic Congdon estate on the shores of Lake Superior, will hold a press conference on July 3 at 11:30 a.m. to announce its induction as a Blue Star Museum.
- July 2, 2013 - Six to be Inducted into UMD Athletic Hall of Fame
- Amory Bodin (football), Guy "Goose" Gosselin (men's hockey), Tom Maas (golf), Maria Rooth (women's hockey), Jenny (Warrick) Reierson (soccer) and Chris Swiatkiewicz (baseball) will become the newest additions to UMD's Athletic Hall of Fame on Sept. 20.
- June 27, 2013 - UMD's Music Department Announces Recent Achievements
- A productive summer: UMD's music department announces lengthily list of student and faculty achievements.
- June 27, 2013 - Brian McInnes Named Blandin Foundation Trustee
- Associate Professor Brian McInnes, Department of Education, has been selected to join the Blandin Foundation's board of trustees.
- June 25, 2013 - KUMD and UMD Team Up to "Stuff the Truck" to Benefit Damiano Center
- Free tickets to Twin Ports Bridge Festival Available.
- June 24, 2013 - Concerts by the Lake, a Glensheen Tradition of Giving Back
- Glensheen puts a new twist on a community favorite.
- June 20, 2013 - Alumna Named to Hall of Fame
- UMD All-American softball second baseman Patty Becker will be enshrined into the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference Hall of Fame on July 10.
- June 19, 2013 - A Year Later: Outstanding Scholar-Athletes
- A group of 16 Bulldog student-athletes were named to the UMD Athletic Academic Scholar List for compiling the highest grade point average during the 2012-13 school year in their respective sports.
- June 19, 2013 - A Year Later: Managing Flood Effects with Rain Gardens, Increased Awareness
- On the anniversary of last year's massive flood, Minnesota Sea Grant is teaching residents to manage effects with rain gardens.
- June 18, 2013 - UMD Partners to Assist Non-Profit Organizations
- The Office of Civic Engagement and Career Services, along with departments from CSS, UWS, and the United Way, are offering a free workshop to help local non-profits successfully connect with students.
- June 17, 2013 - UMD Announces New Major, First of its kind in the United States: Cultural Entrepreneurship
- UMD defining Cultural Entrepreneurship through newly-approved program.
- June 14, 2013 - UMD Chancellor Affirms Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Social Justice on Duluth's Day of Remembrance
- UMD students, staff, and faculty will continue to join with the Duluth-Superior community in fostering partnerships to promote and support diversity, inclusiveness, and social justice initiatives.
- June 10, 2013 - UMD Names Faculty Fellow for Intercultural Initiatives
- UMD announces selection of new Faculty Fellow for Intercultural Initiatives.
- June 6, 2013 - UMD Professor Honored by Arrowhead Regional Arts Council
- A UMD professor will be honored this weekend for his innovative work in the Duluth music scene.
- June 4, 2013 - UMD Ranked Top College for Return on Investment
- The University of Minnesota Duluth has been listed as one of the most affordable Minnesota colleges by The College Database.
- May 31, 2013 - Rebuilding Nations Through Youth: UMD and Partners Presenting The Minnesota Indigenous Youth Freedom Project
- This summer marks the third-annual Minnesota Indigenous Youth Freedom Project, a program with the mission to rebuild nations through youth.
- May 30, 2013 - UMD Announces New Associate Vice Chancellor for Enrollment and Institutional Effectiveness
- Dr. Monica Bruning, from Iowa State University, will lead the areas of Admissions, Registrar, Financial Aid, Students in Transition, Assessment/HLC, Strategic Enrollment Management, and Institutional Research.
- May 28, 2013 - UMD CED's Northeast Minnesota Small Business Development Center presented 'Excellence in Partnering' award by the IRS
- The Internal Revenue Service selected the UMD Center for Economic Development's Northeast Minnesota SBDC for an "Excellence in Partnering" award.
- May 20, 2013 - University of Minnesota Graduates Duluth Pharmacy and Medical School Students
- Future doctors and pharmacists graduate from the Duluth campus this month, continuing strong tradition of rural and tribal community focus.
- May 20, 2013 - UMD Professor and Colleagues Honored by EMpower Foundation
- Professor Aydin Durgunoglu, Department of Psychology, and her colleagues were honored by the EMpower Foundation for literacy programs in Turkey.
- May 15, 2013 - LLO Buoy Data Pours In
- UMD's meteorological buoys provide real time data for scientists, meteorologists and the public.
- May 13, 2013 - UMD Management Club Team Place Second in J.A. Corporate Titan Challenge
- Three students from UMD's Management Club placed second in the Junior Achievement Corporate Titan Challenge. They were the only student team that participated in the competition that included teams from local businesses.
- May 13, 2013 - Unprecedented: UMD to Commence First Tribal Administration Class
- MTAG description: Meeting the need: UMD's very first Master of Tribal Administration class graduates this week.
- May 13, 2013 - UMD Offers Majors Combining Marketing and Graphic Design
- UMD launches two majors that answer a single critical need—preparing students to create effective marketing campaigns.
- May 10, 2013 - Glensheen Appoints New Interim Director
- New Leader at Historic Estate: Glensheen announces new interim director.
- May 10, 2013 - Third Annual Champ Day of Service Supports the Community
- UMD students, faculty, staff, and alumni volunteer in annual day of service.
- May 9, 2013 - Assistant Secretary of Indian Affairs to Speak at UMD's Graduate Program Ceremony
- The Assistant Secretary for Indian Affairs will present the commencement address at UMD's Graduate Ceremony on Thursday, May 16.
- May 8, 2013 - UMD 2013 Commencement Ceremonies Scheduled
- A first for UMD: Two bachelor's degree ceremonies. The details on the May 18 event and the May 16 graduate program ceremony.
- May 7, 2013 - 34 Years at 3300 London Road: Glensheen's Complimentary Community Day
- In 1979, Glensheen became a historic house museum. 34 years later, the estate is celebrating its longevity with a day dedicated to the Duluth community.
- May 5, 2013 - UMD Art Education Program Presents Faces of Earth: Art by Children and Youth
- A UMD community art partnership brings together UMD alumni who teach art, elementary and high school students, and the public for a lively exhibit and art workshop.
- May 2, 2013 - UMD to Host "Pet Away Stress"
- UMD to host "Pet Away Stress" on Wednesday, May 8; soothing students' with pre-exam jitters with dogs up for the task to 'chillax'.
- May 2, 2013 - Senior Taylor Kosey to Speak to UMD Commencement
- An article by UMD sophomore Hayley Westphal highlights the accomplishments of senior Taylor Kosey who graduates in May with a degree in Communication Sciences & Disorders and minors in Psychology and Deaf Studies.
- May 2, 2013 - "Roots of Rescue"
- UMD graduates premiere documentary about a transformational road trip to Alabama. Their mission was tell the story of a culture of dog abuse. Instead they were inspired by the spirit of those who rescue.UMD Graduates' Documentary Premiers in Duluth
- May 2, 2013 - Aune Nominated for Community-Engaged Scholar Award
- UMD graduates premiere documentary about a transformational road trip to Alabama. Their mission was tell the story of a culture of dog abuse. Instead they were inspired by the spirit of those who rescue.
- May 1, 2013 - Large Lakes Observatory Research Alters Knowledge of Human Population Growth
- UMD researchers determined the ancient Toba volcanic eruption did not cause drop in human population.
- April 26, 2013 - African Night Celebrates African Culture with Speakers, Music and Dance
- African Night brings alumni speakers, music and comedy to UMD on April 26.
- April 26, 2013 - UMD Listed in Princeton Review's "Guide to Green Colleges"
- After years of sustainable accomplishments, UMD receives recognition in Princeton Review Guide to Green Colleges.
- April 25, 2013 - UMD's Swenson Civil Engineering Building Makes AIA's Top Ten Green List
- Swenson Civil Engineering Building selected for American Institute of Architects (AIA) honor.
- April 24, 2013 - UMD Graduation Rates Increase
- More UMD students are graduating in five years or less.
- April 24, 2013 - 21st Annual Labo Awards Recipients Announced
- The Joel Labovitz Entrepreneurial Success Awards recognize small business owners who have dared to dream, taken risks, and invested in the region.
- April 24, 2013 - UMD Professor Named College of Pharmacy Department Head
- Associate Professor Grant Anderson has been named department head for Pharmacy Practice and Pharmaceutical Sciences at the College of Pharmacy's department on the Duluth campus.
- April 23, 2013 - Public Invited to Northland Community Wellness Day
- This free event will be held at UMD Romano Gym on Saturday, April 27, 11 am–3 pm. Keynote speaker, Minnesota author Paul Batz, will present at 1 pm in the Marshall Performing Arts Center.
- April 23, 2013 - Cancellation: Baeumler Kaplan Holocaust Commemoration Event
- The lecture "Mission Impossible: Varian Fry in Marseille" is cancelled and will be rescheduled for fall 2013.
- April 18, 2013 - UMD Highlights Open Studio and Student Exhibition on April 27
- See the creativity of UMD art students at an Open Studio and Student Exhibition on April 27.
- April 15, 2013 - UMD's Kjell R. Knudsen Assists Business School Accreditation Standards Committee
- Kjell R. Knudsen helped create new business school accreditation standards necessary for schools to stay current and create new opportunities.
- April 15, 2013 - UMD Planetarium Celebrates Astronomy Day with Free Events
- The public is invited to explore the solar system at planetarium events throughout the day during UMD's Astronomy Day, April 20.
- April 15, 2013 - Reschedule Baeumler Kaplan Holocaust Commemoration Event
- Sheila Isenberg, award-winning journalist, author, and adjunct faculty member at Marist College, will present "Mission Impossible: Varian Fry in Marseille" on Tuesday, April 23.
- April 10, 2013 - UMD Announces New Dean of the Labovitz School of Business & Economics
- Dr. Amy Hietapelto, from Northeastern Illinois University, has been chosen as the new dean of the Labovitz School of Business and Economics.
- April 5, 2013 - UMD Receives Civic Engagement Awards
- UMD's efforts to promote volunteering in the community have been recognized by two prominent organizations.
- April 4, 2013 - 14th Annual Jankofsky Lecture: Appropriating the Past: Language, Archaeology, and Ideology in South Asia
- Professor Emeritus Hans Henrich Hock, from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, will present a lecture entitled "Appropriating the Past: Language, Archaeology, and Ideology in South Asia" on Thurs., April 11 at 4 pm, in the UMD Library Rotunda.
- April 3, 2013 - University of Minnesota Duluth Names New Athletic Director
- Josh Berlo, from the University of Notre Dame, has been chosen as UMD's director of intercollegiate athletics.
- April 3, 2013 - Third Annual CHAMP Day of Service
- A rally will be held on Saturday, April 13 to kick off UMD's third CHAMP (Connecting Hopes with Action to Mobilize People) Day of Service. Last year's CHAMP Day of Service mobilized 328 volunteers who engaged in 1048 hours of service in a single day.
- March 29, 2013 - UMD Announces New Dean of the College of Education and Human
- Dr. Jill Pinkney Pastrana, from the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, has been chosen as the new dean of the College of Education and Human Services Professions.
- March 28, 2013 - UMD's 2012-13 Chancellor Awards: Albert Tezla Teacher/Scholar Award and Outstanding Faculty Advisor Awards
- Chancellor's Award recipients will be honored at an awards ceremony on Tuesday, May 7 at 2:30 pm in the Kirby Rafters.
- March 28, 2013 - Public Invited to "Writing Nature" Literary Nonfiction Symposium
- The College of Liberal Arts will host a two-day symposium on April 8 and 9 that explores creative nonfiction writing with an environmental focus.
- March 26, 2013 - UMD's Baeumler Kaplan Holocaust Commemoration: "Recognizing an Unsung Hero"
- Sheila Isenberg, award-winning journalist, author, and adjunct faculty member at Marist College, will present "Mission Impossible: Varian Fry in Marseille" on Monday, April 15. An Alworth Institute brown bag presentation on "Nazi Concentration Camps: Sadism and Strategies for Cultural Annihilation" will be presented on Thursday, April 18.
- March 20, 2013 - Public Invited to View Muslim Journeys Collection
- The UMD Library will hold a reception and film screening on Tuesday, April 9, 6:30 pm, in the Library Rotunda, to introduce the public to the Muslim Journeys bookshelf collection.
- March 15, 2013 - Large Lakes Observatory Premieres Science Fridays on April 26
- Tour UMD's research vessel, the Blue Heron, and hear science talks during LLO Science Fridays at the Great Lakes Aquarium dock.
- March 13, 2013 - Congressman James Oberstar Presents on UMD Bicycling Infrastructure and Alternative Transportation
- Hear James Oberstar speak on alternative transportation and see Duluth's first alternative vehicle charging station.
- March 13, 2013 - UMD Initiates Antarctica Drilling Project with New Design Contract
- John Goodge and other researchers plan to build a platform/drilling system in Antarctica which has never been attempted on ice sheets before.
- March 12, 2013 - UMD Student Featured on "Native Report"
- An interview with sophomore Brigette Lacquette, who is majoring in physical education and American Indian Studies and plays defenseman on the UMD women's hockey team, will be broadcast on "Native Report" on March 21. Lacquette is a member of the Cote First Nation.
- March 5, 2013 - UMD/MnDOT Study of Winter Storm Traffic and Road Recovery
- Civil Engineering Professor Eil Kwon teamed up with MnDot to study how snowfall affects traffic speed, flow, and road conditions.
- March 4, 2013 - UMD American Indian Studies Research Showcase
- The Department of American Indian Studies is celebrating its 40th Anniversary with a faculty and student research showcase on Tues., Mar. 12 from 5-7 pm in the UMD Library Rotunda. The public is invited.
- March 4, 2013 - UMD's Receives Fifth LEED Certification for Ianni Hall
- Ianni Hall receives recognition for its energy efficient opening windows, substantial insulation, low water usage, high efficiency lighting and automatic shut-off devices.
- March 2, 2013 - UMD Presents 2013 James Oberstar Transportation Forum on March 13
- Five speakers, including former U.S. Congressman James Oberstar will present information on U.S transportation infrastructure and setting transportation policy.
- February 28, 2013 - UMD German Grammar Guide App Launched on iTunes
- The free UMD German Grammar Guide app was developed by the students and faculty of UMD's Mobile Language Learning Group. The group is working on similar apps for Russian, Spanish, and French.
- February 25, 2013 - UMD Professor Receives Minnesota Excellence in Education Award
- Associate Professor Julia M. Williams, Department of Education, has received the 2013 Minnesota Excellence in Education Award. The award acknowledges her expertise in assessment and evaluation.
- February 21, 2013 - UMD Holds Second Campus Forum on Campus Climate
- A Campus Forum focused on creating an inclusive climate at UMD and within the community will be held on Feb 26.
- February 21, 2013 - Dean Kjell R. Knudsen of UMD's Labovitz School of Business and Economics Leaves Legacy of Success
- Kjell R. Knudsen's accomplishments are noted as he prepares to step down from his position as dean of LSBE.
- February 18, 2013 - UMD Professor Receives McKnight Land-Grant Professorship
- Hartz's research focuses on understanding the mechanisms that regulate blood-brain barrier function in Alzheimer's disease.
- February 14, 2013 - UMD Professors Receive Imagine Fund Awards
- Faculty from a wide range of disciplines are the recipients of the University of Minnesota's 2013 Imagine Fund Awards which support research in the arts, design, and the humanities.
- February 14, 2013 - Swenson Civil Engineering Building Honored by MCA
- The Minnesota Construction Association has bestoWed, the 2013 Award of Excellence in the green/sustainable construction category on UMD's James I. Swenson Civil Engineering Building.
- February 13, 2013 - New Scholarship Applicants Being Sought for UMD's 2013-2014 FinnFest USA '92 Scholarship Awards
- FinnFest Scholarships are awarded to junior, senior, or graduate level students. Candidates must be enrolled full time at UMD and must be able to demonstrate financial need.
- February 12, 2013 - UMD's Fifth Annual Darwin Day Lecture: Rowan Barrett, Banting Postdoctoral Fellow, Harvard University
- Rowan Barrett, Banting Postdoctoral Fellow, Harvard University, will speak on Fri., Feb. 15. Barrett's topic is "Experimental Genomics of Adaptation to New Environments."
- February 12, 2013 - Biologist, Environmental Advocate, and Author Sandra Steingraber: "The Impact of Chemical Exposure on Human Health"
- Steingraber speaks Monday, March 4, on “The Impact of Chemical Exposure on Human Health”
- February 11, 2013 - UMD Athletic Director Search Underway
- Community members are encouraged to suggest names of potential candidates who might be appropriate for this key leadership position.
- February 7, 2013 - UMD Teams Participating in Duluth Polar Bear Plunge
- UMD students, faculty, and staff are participating in this year’s Duluth Polar Bear Plunge on Sat., Feb. 16 lakeside at Canal Park.
- February 6, 2013 - 2012-2013 UMD Chancellor's Awards Announced
- Three faculty, Lyle Shannon, instructor, Department of Biology; Steve Colman, director, Large Lakes Observatory; and Ladona Tornabene, associate professor, Department of Health, Physical Education and Recreation, will give special lecture presentations.
- February 5, 2013 - Tuskegee Airmen and Civil Rights Marcher To Speak at UMD
- Tuskegee Airman Lt. Col. (Ret.) Hiram Mann and COL (Ret.) Nathan Thomas, Jr., who participated in the 1963 Birmingham Civil Rights March, will talk about their experiences. Joining them is Major (Ret.) Joseph Gomer, a Tuskegee airman from the Duluth area.
- February 1, 2013 - UMD Gets High Marks at Theatre Festival
- UMD received four awards and two commendations at the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Region V Festival.
- January 31, 2013 - Support the U Day on Feb. 7
- UMD students are encouraged to attend rally at the Minnesota State Capitol on Thurs., Feb. 7.
- January 24, 2013 - Feb. 5 Brown Bag Talk: Fresh Water for the Ethiopian Hamar Tribe and Snow Angel Fundraiser
- UMD students with Ethiopian heritage will give a presentation about Ethiopia's culture. A talk about snow angel fundraiser follows.
- January 23, 2013 - CED Director Elaine Hansen Receives NASBITE CGBP Certification
- NASBITE CGBP Certification confirms advanced skills and knowledge in international trade
- January 17, 2013 - UMD Informs Students of Influenza Precautions
- As UMD students return to campus for spring semester, UMD urges influenza precautions.
- January 10, 2013 - UMD Civil Engineering Career Fair
- Companies dealing with civil engineering design will meet UMD civil engineering students at a career fair at UMD on January 28 and 29.
- January 2, 2013 - Larissa Trygg Named UMD Development Director for Corporate and Foundation Relations
- Larissa Trygg, leader in account management, marketing, and community relations, takes UMD position dealing with corporate and foundation giving.
- December 27, 2012 - FIRST Robotics Competition Kicks Off on January 5 at UMD
- UMD electrical engineering students serve as mentors to high school students in 2013 robotics contest.
- December 21, 2012 - WIESE HIRED AS NEW UMD FOOTBALL COACH;
STROMME NAMED INTERIM A.D.
- UMD Intercollegiate Athletics names a new football coach and an interim athletic director.
- December 7, 2012 - UMD's Derek Bromme on Tour with Lorie Line
- Derek Bromme, actor, singer, trombone player and adjunct faculty member in the UMD Department of Music, is touring with Lorie Line.
- December 7, 2012 - Holiday Reading by Local Author
- UMD English Professor Joseph Maiolo presents "Saint Matthew in Appalachia" on Wednesday, December 12 at 3:30 in the Weber Music Hall
- December 4, 2012 - Final Round! Vote for Bob Nielson 2012 Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
- Bob Nielson was named one of five finalists in Division II. Voting begins today!
- November 28, 2012 - Director of External Affairs Announced
- Gina Katzmark will join the University of Minnesota Duluth as the director of External Affairs, effective December 17.
- November 28, 2012 - Duluth Debuts as Top College Destination
Destinations Ranked According to Academic Environment, Quality of Life, and Professional Opportunities
- The American Institute for Economic Research (AIER) has ranked Duluth, MN as the 14th top location in the "Small Metro" category.
- November 26, 2012 - UMD Statesman Receives Two Best of Show Awards
- The Statesman placed among the top ten in two Associated Collegiate Press award categories.
- November 6, 2012 - Former UMD Chancellor Martin to be awarded honorary fellowship by University of Worcester
- Kathryn A. Martin will receive a Fellowship of the University and membership in the University of Worcester College of Fellows from November 6 - 9, 2012.
- November 5, 2012 - Minnesota Supreme Court Justice Alan Page
- Attend this free event on Thursday, November 15 at 11 am in the Kirby Student Ballroom
- November 2, 2012 - UMD CLA Development Director Appointed
- Jennifer Meyer has been named the new University of Minnesota Duluth Development Director for the College of Liberal Arts
- November 1, 2012 - UMD Holds "Shaping Our Future" Event on Higher Ed and Society
- UMD campus and community members consider different perspectives on the public purposes of higher education at an event on Nov. 15.
- October 31, 2012 - World Premiere of UMD Professor's Play at the Kennedy Center
- Tom Isbell's play, The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg, opens in Washington, D.C. on November 17.
- October 30, 2012 - Duluth Community's Children & Families Invited to UMD's Haunted Halls
- Wednesday, October 31 from 5pm-7pm with check-in at the UMD Lawrence A. Ianni Hall Lobby
- October 23, 2012 - 2012 UMD Zombie Fest
- Thursday, October 25 at 7 pm in UMD Bohannon Hall 90 to explore a variety of zombie-related topics
- October 22, 2012 - "Our Environmental Destiny" with Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.
- Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., vice chair and chief prosecuting attorney for Riverkeeper, will speak on "Our Environmental Destiny" on Friday, Nov. 9 at 7 pm in MPAC at UMD.
- October 22, 2012 - Mayor Ness to Present Duluth Food Day Proclamation at UMD
- Wednesday, October 24 at 11:30 am in the UMD Plaza Food Court
- October 18, 2012 - UMD Social Work Receives Grant to Support Mental Health Services
- UMD received a $440,000 federal grant to recruiting graduate students and to provide education and clinical experiences to address the mental and behavioral health needs of under-served populations.
- October 18, 2012 - Dawn Peterson Receives Outstanding MSW Field Supervisor and Civic Engagement Award
- Dawn Peterson, MSW, LICSW, was recognized as a field supervisor who has shown exceptional personal and professional civic engagement and has encouraged students involvement in their communities.
- October 17, 2012 - UMD Presents 2012 Summit on Equity, Diversity, and Multiculturalism
- The Summit entitled "Diversity: Why? ... and what's in it for me?" will be held on Thurs., Oct. 25 from 8 am-5 pm in the Kirby Student Center.
- October 16, 2012 - UMD Program Strengthened with $50,000 maurices Gift
- The Retail Marketing Analytics Program at the Labovitz School of Business and Economics will benefit from a $50,000 gift from maurices
- October 12, 2012 - Vote Bob Nielson for the 2012 Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
- Tweet today for Bob Nielson in the 2012 competition
- October 12, 2012 - New! UMD Maroon and Gold Street Signs
- Unveiling scheduled for Tuesday, October 16 at 6 pm with Mayor Don Ness in attendance
- October 12, 2012 - 2012 UMD Homecoming Events
- Join in on the fun that begins on Saturday, October 13 at 5:30 pm
- October 10, 2012 - UMD Researcher Receives Water Sustainability Grant
- Karen Gran, assistant professor of geological sciences, is one of the researchers on a five-year grant to study of interactions between water and land-use systems.
- October 10, 2012 - UMD Alumnus Brian K. Kobilka Receives Nobel Prize for Chemistry Research
- On October 10, 2012, UMD graduate Brian Kobilka (1977 Biology, Chemistry) won the 2012 Nobel Prize in Chemistry.
- October 5, 2012 - Mathematical Excellence
- On November 1, 2012, Dr. Joseph Gallian will be announced as an AMS Fellow
- October 5, 2012 - Commemorating a Legend
- UMD Associate Professor Jean Stevenson presented at annual award ceremony
- October 5, 2012 - Fostering a Climate of Inclusion, Safety and Respect: New Reporting Webpage and the Development of a Campus Climate Response Team
- UMD Student Forum on Monday, October 8 at 5 pm in Griggs Center
- October 3, 2012 - UMD Presents "An American Indian Perspective on Land-Grant Universities"
- UMD commemorates the 150th anniversary of the Morrill Act and celebrates the 40th anniversary of the American Indian Studies Program at 7p.m. on Oct. 16 in the Kirby Ballroom.
- September 28, 2012 - Scholarship Named for Mike Munnell, First Graduate of UMD's American Indian Studies Program
- Member of Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa honored with naming of scholarship
- September 27, 2012 - 2012 Heart Walk at UMD
- On Saturday, September 29, join the UMD and Duluth community at the 15th annual Heart Walk
- September 21, 2012 - 25th Anniversary of the UMD Alworth Institute
- Commemoration on Wednesday, September 26 from 7 pm - 9 pm in Bohannon Hall 90 at UMD
- September 14, 2012 - Students Finding Their Future
- Annual UMD E-Fest on Wednesday, September 19 from 10 am - 2 pm in the Kirby Ballroom
- September 14, 2012 - Youth Outdoor Education
- David Sobel presenting on Tuesday, September 18 at 4:30 pm in the UMD Weber Music Hall
- September 12, 2012 - UMD to Hold First of Three Land-Grant Commemorations on September 27: UMD & Mineral Resources: Challenges, Opportunities, and a Land-Grant Perspective
- Five speakers examine the connection between UMD and the area's mineral resources at this event commemorating UMD's Land-Grant Heritage.
- September 12, 2012 - UMD Ranks High in U.S. News & World Report's Annual "America's Best Colleges" Edition
- UMD again receives high ranking from U.S. News & World Report for academics and accessibility.
- September 7, 2012 - UMD Swenson College of Science and Engineering Development Director has been Appointed
- Carrie Sutherland named the new SCSE development director
- September 7, 2012 - Minnesota Twins VS Kansas City Royals
- Join the UMD Alumni Association on Wednesday, September 12 at Target Field with Champ throwing the first pitch
- September 6, 2012 - UMD’s Multicultural Learning Community
- Students opt to live in residential housing and attend events as a multi-ethnic group
- August 29, 2012 - 2012 UMD Student Move-In Day and the Chancellor’s Convocation
- Thursday, August 30 from 9am-3:30pm is UMD Student Move-In Day. Friday, August 31 at 1 pm, Yvonne Prettner Solon is attending the Chancellor's Convocation
- May 25, 2012 - Michael P. Seymour Chosen for UMD Vice Chancellor for Finance and Operations
- May 23, 2012 - AIA Selects UMD's Bagley Classroom for 2012 COTE Top Ten Green Projects in the Country
- May 23, 2012 - Spring, Summer, and Fall Workshops for Gardening Enthusiasts
- May 22, 2012 - Associate Vice Chancellor for Undergraduate Education Has Been Named
- May 22, 2012 - School of Fine Arts Dean Has Been Named
- May 22, 2012 - College of Education and Human Service Professions Interim Dean Has Been Named
- May 22, 2012 - Associate Vice Chancellor for Graduate Education and Research Has Been Named
- May 18, 2012 - 2012 Outstanding Service Awards
- May 11, 2012 - Five UMD Faculty Receive Awards
- May 11, 2012 - UMD Students Reuse and Recycle at Semester's End
- May 8, 2012 - UMD 2012 Commencement Ceremonies
- May 8, 2012 - UMD Masters Program Ranks in Top Tier of U.S. News and World Report
- May 8, 2012 - UMD Bike/Walk to Work Day
- Faculty and staff pledging for good health and a greener environment
- May 4, 2012 - The Duluth Community Heritage Apple Orchard Breaks Ground on Saturday, May 12 at 9 a.m.
- Duluth Community Heritage Apple Orchard breaks ground May 12
- May 4, 2012 - 2nd Annual CHAMP Day of Service
- UMD students, staff, faculty, and alumni went into the city to help
- April 27, 2012 - UMD and Chanhassen Dinner Theaters Announce Alliance
- April 24, 2012 - Iron Range Master's Graduation Reception
- April 24, 2012 - Local Food Source Provides Grass-Fed Beef
- The Duluth community and surrounding region is invited to dinner
- April 18, 2012 - Twin Cities Gay Men's Chorus: In Concert
- April 17, 2012 - UMD Music Student Receives Prestigious Schubert Club Award
- April 17, 2012 - UMD Student Employee Honored
- April 17, 2012 - Second Annual CHAMP Day of Service
- April 13, 2012 - 2012 Platinum Award for Fit-Friendly Company
- April 13, 2012 - International Sustainable Development and Connections to Duluth
- April 10, 2012 - UofM and UMD Support Lacrosse Camp for American Indian Youth
- April 10, 2012 - Travel Adventures On All Seven Continents
- Award-Winning author Marty Essen to speak at UMD
- April 9, 2012 - CEO RUSSEL FLEISCHER: LSBE PROFESSOR FOR A DAY
- April 9, 2012 - Creativity and Undergraduate Research on Display at UMD
- April 5, 2012 - What is America: UMD EXPLORES SHARED STORIES
- April 4, 2012 - Religion and the Holocaust: UMD's Baeumler Kaplan 2012 Holocaust Commemoration
- April 4, 2012 - Nature, Evolution, and Creative Nonfiction
- Collection of critical essays examines works by anthropologist and author Loren Eiseley
- March 30, 2012 - New Student Chapter at LSBE
- March 27, 2012 - UMD Diversity Dialogue With Visiting Professors
- March 26, 2012 - Successful Alumnus to Speak at UMD
- Distinguished speaker, Michael Howe, will present "Personal Branding for Market Success"
- March 26, 2012 - Rally and Send-Off of Students for Bulldog Lobby Day at the MN State Capitol
- March 22, 2012 - Senior Vice President of Google and UMD Alumnus Awarded 2011 ACM Fellow Honor
- March 21, 2012 - TechFest 2012
- Innovative technology presented to the public by the UMD community
- March 1, 2012 - Choral Event Launches Scholarship
- Memory of UMD Professor Opheim to be honored
- February 24, 2012 - UMD Program Strengthened with $75,000 Wells Fargo Gift
- February 24, 2012 - Annual Awareness Event About Eating Disorders
- National advocate and speaker Kitty Westin to present at UMD
- February 24, 2012 - National Dance Marathon Celebrates Children’s Hospitals
- UMD students organize on-campus event
- February 16, 2012 - Vince Magnuson To Be Honored With Prestigious National Award
- George Mehaffy to speak on transforming higher education
- February 14, 2012 - Antiracist Author to Speak at UMD
- On Thursday, February 16 at 6 p.m. in the Kirby Ballroom, author Tim Wise will speak at this free event
- February 9, 2012 - 4th Annual UMD Darwin Day Lecture Series
- Join the Department of Geological Sciences and the Department of Biology at UMD on Friday, February 10 at 3:15 p.m. in room 185 of the UMD Life Science building
- February 9, 2012 - Three Open Houses for Prospective MTAG Students
- The first cohort is underway while applicants for the second cohort are welcome at open houses for the UMD Master of Tribal Administration and Governance program
- February 9, 2012 - Student-Led ASL and AFA Clubs "Usher" in The Miracle Worker Performance
- Join Champ and UMD students starting at 1 p.m. in the Marshall Performing Arts Center
- February 9, 2012 - 2012 Rudolf Nissim Award Presented to UMD Assistant Professor
- Gene Koshinski, UMD Assistant Professor of Percussion, was awarded the 2012 Rudolf Nissim Award for his Concerto for Marimba and Choir
- February 9, 2012 - UMD Announces New Scholarship Applicants Being Sought for 2012-2013 FinnFest USA '92 Scholarship Awards
- UMD Announces New Scholarship Applicants Being Sought for 2012-2013 FinnFest USA '92 Scholarship Awards
- February 3, 2012 - Duluth Community Invited to Annual "Spring Feast"
- On Tuesday, February 7, from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the UMD Kirby Ballroom, celebrate at the annual "Spring Feast" with the UMD American Indian Learning Resource Center
- February 3, 2012 - Campus and Community Connection
- Three UMD students wear costumes and help raise money for a six year old with cancer
- January 27, 2012 - "The Holocaust: Resistance and Survival"
- A series of films portraying the Nazi oppression
- January 22, 2012 - Celebrate the Launch of UMD's New Confucius Institute
- On Saturday, January 21 at 3 p.m. in the Weber Music Hall, Gao Hong, world-renowned pipa soloist, will perform with the Carleton College's Chinese Music Ensemble.
- January 3, 2012 - Minnesota Chippewa Tribe Endorses UMD's State Bonding Request
- UMD, with a 40-year commitment to American Indian studies, has become a center of American Indian learning
- December 20, 2011 - Winter Solstice Invitation to Community Families
- On Thursday, December 22 from 4-9 p.m. at the UMD Planetarium, enjoy full-dome shows every half hour, as well as arts and crafts projects with a stellar theme
- December 19, 2011 - New! Civil Engineering Masters Degree
- The Master of Science in Civil Engineering (MS-CE) is intended for students pursuing a research emphasis and seeking in-depth knowledge in an area within civil engineering.
- December 19, 2011 - National Design Award Recognizes UMD
- The James I Swenson Engineering Building was recognized with a 2011 AIA/CAE Educational Facility Design merit award.
- December 16, 2011 - National Publication Features Mathematics Professor
- The Association of American Colleges and Universities journal Liberal Education features Professor of Mathematics and Associate Department Head Carmen Latterell
- December 14, 2011 - Holiday Reading by Local Author
- On Friday, December 16 at 3 p.m. in the Weber Music Hall, enjoy a live holiday reading by author and English Professor Joseph Maiolo
- December 7, 2011 - Equity and Diversity Award Honors UMD
- The University of Minnesota system presented UMD with the 2011 Equity and Diversity Outstanding Unit Award.
- December 7, 2011 - An Evening in Chicago
- UMD Alumni Reception at the Victory Garden's Biograph Theater
- November 30, 2011 - UMD Research Featured by National Science Foundation
- UMD faculty work documenting the Chippewa language and training of indigenous scholars is one of four research projects filmed by the National Science Foundation Science Nation video series
- November 30, 2011 - UMD Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Appointed
- Dr. Andrew J. Schokker has been appointed UMD's Executive Vice Chancellor for Academica Affairs
- November 30, 2011 - Maroon and Gold Holiday Tree Topped with a Bulldog
- Several LSBE students joined together and decorated a UMD-inspired holiday tree for the non-profit organization, the American Red Cross Northland Chapter, to include in the annual Fitger's Holiday Forest silent auction
- November 30, 2011 - UMD's Large Lakes Observatory Tapped for National Geographic Special
- "Drain the Great Lakes" will be aired at 9 p.m. EST, Thursday, December 1 and rebroadcast at 10 p.m. EST. The program features data and research provided by UMD's Large Lakes Observatory
- November 29, 2011 - A "Ritchie Boy" comes to UMD
- On Monday, December 5, Minnesota's own "Ritchie Boy," Walter Schwarz, will tell about his experiences as one of the mostly Jewish men who fled Nazi Germany only to return to Europe as soldiers in U.S. uniforms.
- November 22, 2011 - American Institute of Architects Chicago Chapter Honors UMD
- UMD's James I. Swenson Civil Engineering building was recently honored with the prestigious Distinguished Building Award from the American Institute of Architects (AIA) Chicago chapter and was selected to grace the cover of the current issue of Chicago Architect, AIA Chicago's magazine.
- November 16, 2011 - Peering into the Past and Present of New England
- On Monday, November 28 at 5 p.m. in the 4th floor Library Rotunda, author and historian Jean O'Brien will present "Firsting and Lasting: Writing Indians Out of Existence in New England."
- November 16, 2011 - MN Power to Present $18,183 Energy Rebate Check to UMD
- On Tuesday, November 22 at 9 a.m. in the Ianni Residence Hall lobby, MN Power will present an energy rebate check to Chancellor Lendley C. Black
- November 14, 2011 - Professors to Receive Global Engagement Award
- UMD Professor of Mathematics and Statistics Zhuangyi Liu, and U of MN Twin Cities School of Medicine Professor of Anesthesiology Kumar G. Belani will be honored on November 16 at 4 p.m.
- November 14, 2011 - Author and Associate Professor Wins Janet Heidinger Kafka Prize for Fiction
- Linda LeGarde Grover from the UMD department of American Indian Studies was honored on November 3 with the Janet Heidinger Kafka prize for her book The Dance Boots.
- November 10, 2011 - UMD Students Establish ASL Club
- Admission will be free for the first 10 people who attend the event on Saturday, November 12 starting at 11 a.m. at the Lake Superior Zoo
- November 6, 2011 - Towards Zero Death: Grant Enforcement Project
- UMD has used the grant for campus-wide signs, banners, and posters; an increase in officer enforcement; and a higher visibility of patrol cars and officers during large events and holiday weekends.
- November 1, 2011 - Land of Plenty: How Did You Come to Be Here?
- Directed by Tom Isbell, written by Sara Thomsen, and presented by UMD, Duluth, and regional community artists on Friday, November 11, and Saturday, November 12 at 7:30 p.m. in the Marshall Performing Arts Center
- October 26, 2011 - Community's Children & Families Invited to UMD's Haunted Halls
- UMD's 16th annual haunted halls will take place on Monday, October 3, from 5-7 p.m. with trick-or-treating, crafts, and games
- October 26, 2011 - U of M President Kaler to visit Duluth and Cloquet Oct. 27-28
- President Kaler will tour UMD, speak at an all-campus public forum, meet privately with area legislators, and tour the Cloquet Forestry Center
- October 25, 2011 - U of M Regents Give Green Light to Duluth American Indian Center
- The board voted at its October 14 meeting to include the AILRC in the University of Minnesota's 2012 state capital request
- October 24, 2011 - NEMBA READINGS - MEET THE AUTHORS
- Connie Wanek, Peter Geye, and Dennis Herschbach will read from their works on Thursday, October 27, 2011 from 6:30 p.m. - 8 p.m. in the UMD Library Rotunda
- October 24, 2011 - CED 25TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION RECEPTION
- Thursday, October 27, 2011 at the DECC Harborside Ballroom from 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. a reception will be held celebrating the 25th anniversary of the CED
- October 24, 2011 - Large Lakes Observatory Awarded NSF Grant
- The National Science Foundation has awarded $485,226 to UMD's Large Lakes Observatory research program
- October 20, 2011 - Spilly's Recipe Contest
- Minnesota Sea Grant's "Salute to Lake Superior's Sustainable Fisheries" will be held on Tuesday, November 1, 2011 from 4-6:30 p.m. at the U of M McNamara Alumni Center in Minneapolis.
- October 20, 2011 - UMD and Silver Bay Launching Sustainability Project
- The groundbreaking ceremony for the building construction will be held at 1:30 pm on Monday, October 24, 2011, in Silver Bay, Minn., at the Eco-Industrial Development Site just north of the Silver Bay traffic lights on Scenic Highway 61 (next to AmericInn)
- October 20, 2011 - Zombie Fest 2011
- Free and open to the public, six professors from UMD will present the zombie topic from a variety of disciplines on Thursday, October 27 at 7 p.m.
- October 18, 2011 - Scientific Discovery on UMD Campus Takes Major Step Toward Commercial Use
- A new potentially life-saving therapy discovered by scientists on the UMD campus of the University of Minnesota has taken a major step toward commercial use.
- October 13, 2011 - $1.2 Million NSF Award for Project Baseline
- Julie Etterson and a team of co-principal investigators have been awarded $1.2 million for a large seed bank where seeds will be stored.
- October 12, 2011 - Professor to Be Honored with Gallery of Success Award
- Jean "Rudy" Perrault will be honored on Friday, October 14, 2011 with the Gallery of Success Award at Temple University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- October 11, 2011 - First Annual Food Week
- Robert Kenner, producer of the documentary Food, Inc., will speak about the film on Thursday, Oct 20 at 8 p.m. as part of UMD's First Annual Food Week.
- October 11, 2011 - Homecoming 2011: "This is Bulldog Country"
- The homecoming schedule begins on Friday, October 14 and ends on Saturday, October 22.
- October 11, 2011 - Twin Ports Heartwalk 2011
- Over 135 walkers on 13 teams with 60+ volunteers from UMD were involved at the 2011 Twin Ports Heartwalk
- October 5, 2011 - Faculty Art Show at the Tweed Museum of Art
- From now through March 4, 2012, visit the Tweed Museum of Art to view the faculty art show. A reception will be held on Tuesday, October 11 from 5-7 p.m.
- October 3, 2011 - Director of the Center for Ethics and Public Policy
- Assistant Professor Shane Courtland has been appointed director of the Center for Ethics and Public Policy
- September 28, 2011 - Weisman Art Museum Invites Eun-Kyung Suh to Create Exhibit
- From October 2, 2011 through May 20, 2012, Eun-Kyung Suh's exhibit will be on display at the Weisman Art Museum
- September 27, 2011 - NSF Collaborative Research Grant
- NSF has awarded $241,482 to research conducted by a team, including Peter Willemson, UMD associate professor in the Department of Computer Science.
- September 27, 2011 - LSBE Distinguished Speaker Series: Dan Fishback
- Tuesday, October 4 from 11 a.m. - 12:15 p.m., alum Dan Fishback will present "Skate To Where the Puck is Going to Be"
- September 26, 2011 - EPA Awards $400,000 to University of Minnesota Sea Grant
- EPA 2011 Great Lakes Restoration Initiative includes the University of Minnesota Sea Grant Program with a $400,000 award.
- September 22, 2011 - Vehicle-to-Vehicle Technology
- UMD research has led to a unique technology for the future of traffic control that fulfills the transportation-communication criteria set by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
- September 22, 2011 - Master of Social Work Award
- Julia "Bunny" Jaakola is the recipient of the 2011 Outstanding Master of Social Work Field Supervisor and Civic Engagement award.
- September 21, 2011 - Military Friendly Campus
- UMD is ranked among the top 15% of military friendly higher education institutions in the nation.
- September 21, 2011 - Sustainable Agriculture Project Event
- The Sustainable Agriculture Project welcomes the community to free tours and harvesting on Saturday, September 24 from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- September 21, 2011 - Director of External Affairs Announced
- Susan Banovetz has been named the director of External Affairs, effective September 26, 2011.
- September 12, 2011 - Film Screening of Philip Pearlstein: Naked Vision
- On Friday, September 16, 2011 at 7:30 p.m. in the Weber Music Hall, the UMD film screening of Philip Pearlstein: Naked Vision will be presented.
- September 12, 2011 - Diversity: How Did You Come to Be Here?
- The online questionnaire invites the UMD community to answers questions about ancestry and heritage, as well as what led each person to the university as a student, staff, or faculty member.
- September 8, 2011 - UMD Constitution Week Activities
- From Monday, September 12 through Friday, September 16, UMD is hosting a campus-wide Constitution Week with a variety of scheduled events.
- September 8, 2011 - KUMD 103.3 FM Features a Special Radio Panel Discussion on 9/11
- On Friday, September 9 at 10 a.m., KUMD 103.3 is featuring a special radio panel discussion "Reflections of 9/11".
- September 7, 2011 - UMD Names Residence Hall in Honor of Former Chancellor Ianni
- A dedication ceremony on Friday, September 16, 2011 at 11:30 a.m. will name the new UMD student residence, Ianni Hall.
- September 6, 2011 - UMD Planetarium Reopens
- The UMD Planetarium has new high-backed seats, full-dome theater presentations, and free public shows on Wednesdays and Fridays.
- August 31, 2011 - UMD Bulldog Welcome Week 2011
- Bulldog Welcome Week begins on Thursday, September 1 with the Chancellor, staff, and administrators helping students move in on campus.
- August 31, 2011 - UMD Strategic Plan Provides Focus for Upcoming Year
- 750 staff and faculty will be addressed by Chancellor Black during two events on Wednesday, August 31, and Thursday, September 1. The UMD Strategic Plan will be included in the Chancellor's address at both events.
- August 18, 2011 - UMD at the Twins
- Join alumni, family, and friends at Target Field for a pregame party at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 for the Minnesota Twins vs. Kansas City Royals game.
- August 9, 2011 - UMD's Precambrian Field Camp
- From now through August 20, UMD's Precambrian field camp is underway throughout northern Minnesota with 22 geology students and several UMD leaders.
- August 4, 2011 - UMD at the State Fair
- Scheduled stage shows and events will be presented by UMD faculty, staff, and students at the Minnesota State Fair on August 27, 2011 from 9 a.m.-9 p.m.
- August 3, 2011 - UMD Farm Providing Internships and Sustainability
- UMD faculty, staff, and the Duluth community worked together to create a field site for experiential learning and research, as well as academic internship opportunities.
- August 3, 2011 - Lisa Erwin Takes Role as UMD Vice Chancellor for Student Life on August 15
- Currently the Vice President for Student Development and Enrollment at Bemidji State University in Bemidji, Minnesota, Lisa Erwin will begin her duties on August 15 as UMD Vice Chancellor for Student Life.
- July 27, 2011 - UMD Bulldog Signs NFL Contract
- UMD running back, Isaac Odim, signs with NFL San Diego Chargers.
- July 26, 2011 - College of Liberal Arts Associate Dean Has Been Named
- Dr. Olaf Kuhlke has been named as the College of Liberal Arts Associate Dean.
- July 25, 2011 - UMD Revitalizes the Experts List
- The revitalized Experts List is a user-friendly database that now incorporates a keyword search tool.
- July 25, 2011 - Campus-Wide Juneberry Picking
- The final Juneberry picking tour is scheduled for Tuesday, July 26 at noon, starting at the Solon Campus Center.
- July 19, 2011 - The Lake Superior Writing Project Mini-Institute 2011
- From Monday, July 11 through Friday, July 15, The Lake Superior Writing Project Mini-Institute gave a variety of teachers a rare opportunity to learn more about the writing process.
- July 18, 2011 - UMD Night With the St. Paul Saints
- On Friday, July 22, the UMD Alumni Association is sponsoring a pre-game picnic at 5:30 p.m., folloWed, by the game at 7:05.
- July 14, 2011 - UMD Bike/Walk to Work
- 20 UMD employees left their vehicles at home and either walked or biked to work on July 7, 2011, traversing a total of 89.54 miles.
- July 13, 2011 - The National Science Foundation Collaborates with UMD Research
- From July 5-8, the National Science Foundation producer, Marsha Walton, directed and filmed four science research projects conducted by UMD experts.
- June 28, 2011 - The Association of Minnesota Public Education Radio Stations Names Broadcaster of the Year
- On June 17, 2011, The Association of Minnesota Public Education Radio Stations named UMD Chief Engineer of KUMD, Kirk Kersten, Broadcaster of the Year.
- June 27, 2011 - Benchmarking a Slice of Africa; Preserving Biodiversity Through Science
- UMD aquatic biologist and professor, Robert Hecky, will join a team to determine if and when catastrophic explosions occurred in Lake Kivu and on its shores in Rwanda.
- June 22, 2011 - Art History Professor Published in Centennial Anthology
- Selected from a collection of over 2000 articles, UMD art history professor Thomas Hedin published in the Art Bulletin: Centennial Anthology
- June 10, 2011 - International Expert Will Perform Indian Classical Dance
- On June 23, 2011 at 7 p.m., an international dance expert will perform the Indian Classical Dance Bharatanatyam at UMD.
- June 9, 2011 - UMD Vice Chancellor Recipient of the 2011 William Plater Award for Leadership in Civic Engagement
- Vince Magnuson was presented with the William Plater Award for Leadership in Civic Engagement in early June.
- June 9, 2011 - UMD Hosts "Honoring the Earth: Sámi Women"
- Storytelling, song and dance about the Sami people of Norway and their similarities to American Indians in Minnesota on Thursday, June 30 at 6 p.m. in the UMD Library Rotunda.
- June 3, 2011 - UMD Public Forum on the University Budget
- The University of Minnesota Board of Regents will hold a public forum on the University Budget on June 10, 2011 at 12:00 p.m.
- June 3, 2011 - UMD Hosts Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" at Zinema2 in Duluth
- UMD professors and CEHSP student hosting Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" series at Zinema2 every Saturday from June 4 through August 27 at 11 a.m..
- June 1, 2011 - UMD Wins in National Apple Orchard Contest
- 130 communities participated in a national Edy's "Communities Take Root" contest with UMD among the winners.
- June 1, 2011 - UMD Alumni NEMBA Award Winner
- Authors Dennis Herschbach and Rudy Senarighi are UMD alumni who were recognized at the Northeastern Minnesota Book Awards.
- May 24, 2011 - UMD Names Development Director for the College of Education and Human Service Professions
- Bob Sherman is the UMD Development Director for the College of Education and Human Service Professions.
- May 20, 2011 - Fire Rescue Training Exercises
- UMD and the Duluth Fire Department join together in fire rescue training exercises at a residential property from Monday, May 23 through Monday, May 30.
- May 13, 2011 - New Undergraduate Degree Program Combines Marketing and Analytics
- New marketing and analytics undergraduate degree program is among the first of its kind in the nation combining retail quantitative skills with marketing.
- May 12, 2011 - First Doctoral Class Graduates from Education Program Offered Exclusively at UMD
- 14 UMD graduates receive doctoral degrees with 13 in the first cohort to graduate with a Doctor of Education (Ed.D.).
- May 10, 2011 - Senate and House Unanimously Vote to Honor UMD Bulldogs
- Men's hockey and football teams honored by the Minnesota Senate and House of Representatives.
- May 9, 2011 - Newman Civic Fellows Award Received by UMD College of Liberal Arts Student
- UMD Chancellor Lendley C. Black nominated award winning student Erica Karrels.
- May 9, 2011 - UMD Announces Retirement of Six Faculty Members
- Six UMD faculty members will retire after the 2010-2011 academic year.
- May 6, 2011 - UMD 2011 Commencement
- On May 12 and May 14, UMD Chancellor Lendley C. Black will attend his first graduate and undergraduate commencement ceremonies at UMD at the DECC AMSOIL Arena.
- May 4, 2011 - UMD Announces Faculty Award Recipients for 2010-2011
- UMD honored a number of faculty members at an awards ceremony on May 4.
- May 4, 2011 - UMD Strategic Plan Approved
- UMD's Strategic Plan will provide a detailed blueprint for action steps and measurable outcomes for UMD's development.
- April 26, 2011 - UMD Professor Publishes From Sun Cities to The Villages
- Judith Ann Trolander wrote her book, "From Sun Cities to The Villages", about the rise of age-restricted communities for retirees.
- April 26, 2011 - Regents Professor Designated as 2011 Fellow of the American Geophysical Union
- Thomas Johnson was awarded the honor bestoWed, upon only one in a thousand members of the American Geophysical Union each year.
- April 26, 2011 - UMD to Host the VI Minnesota Indigenous Language Symposium
- UMD announces a new minor in the College of Liberal Arts.
: [ January
Archives of Previous Years
: [ 1999
UMD External Affairs Team
To send information to Currents and to submit a listing to the Experts List or
to send major news stories for homepage features, news releases and UM Twin Cities Brief use firstname.lastname@example.org
Cheryl Reitan, Associate Director of External Affairs, 218-726-8996, email@example.com
Betty Greene, Associate Administrator, 218-726-6140, firstname.lastname@example.org
Brett Groehler, Director of Photography, 218-726-7115, email@example.com
Charlene Aaseng, Graphic & Multimedia Designer, 218-726-6858, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kathleen McQuillan-Hofmann, Communication Associate, 218-726-7111, email@example.com
Lori Melton, Communication Associate, 218-726-8830, firstname.lastname@example.org
Joel Youngblom, Web Development & Content Manager, 218-726-8798, email@example.com